Upcoming Events & Activities
Women with Focus Inc & The St Croix Athletic Club after-school weekend get together: The after-school program 2010 /2011 is now finished. To show our appreciation to our students on St Croix who joined our 1st class at Evelyn M Williams Elementary School the students were honored with a small fun day that was held on June 04th, 2011.
Students joined the groups at (3) pick up point with a tour in a Safari from West End, North Side then East End then end up at Sunny Isles for lunch and have fun. Then they went Bowling Alley and Malabo Skating fun spot. Students were picked up from the Bowling Alley at 7:00 pm.
Mr Tahemah Edwards gave the KSD Students a tour of the old Bethlehem Sugar Factory Site and gave the history of the plantation, this took place on June 04th from 10:00 am.
After-school program: Women with Focus Inc. after-school aerobic classes Starts November 07th: To keep our students moving, we offered aerobic classes (1) day weekly for (1) hour at the school. students learned how to lose weight by dancing and exercising.
Community program: Women with Focus Inc. Walking Club began January 09th, 2013, and continues: In an effort to keep our children moving; we are now having "Walk-a-way the pounds" Contest" with trainned leaders in each location who run the program (3) days weekly.
Locations: Mutral Homes Community Center, Lorraine Village Basketball court, Louis Browne Community, Whim ball field, Ario Diaz Community center, F/sted Baptist Church grounds, and Lawatz Community in F/sted. We keep records of those students who are slimming down while they play games, dance, exercise or do community walks.
After-school (Arts and Craft classes). We are now assisting students in 3rd and 4th grade to "Celebrate their Culture" through Arts.
Sewing class: Students (boys and girls) learned how to sew simple projects on Mondays and Thursdays at the school.
Craft skills: Students are becoming creative with many simple things like palm arrangements, toilet paper flowers, jewel box with Popsicle sticks, etc.
Crochet class: Students learned how to make small skill projects with crochet wool and thread.
Poetry: Students are combining their work to produce a poetry book for the community. (7) students have put together a variety of poems and we are getting ready to have them printed out to be published in a book.
Art class: Students who love to draw and paint do so on some weekend from 9:00 - 11:00 am.
Students learn each of these skills (3) days weekly until all the students can enjoy their creativity with arts.
Community tour / adventure afternoon: Began Friday November 18th, 2011 and still continues. Students have tour arranged for them to visit some private / public business or some adventure areas on the Islands monthly.
St Thomas Carnival recess events planned: Local businesses in the F/sted, Princess, Center line and C/sted, Gov't House, U.V.I and the fish farm, Dept of Ag. Old sugar plantation, (2) Local Farmers, Fort Christian and Fort Frederik, Anally farms, Lawaetz Museum, District Courts, Animal Clinic, Juan Louise hospital, Charles Harwood Memorial Hospital, AARP, Radio stations, Dept of Planning and Natural Resources and Dept of labor and Housing Finance Authority.
St Thomas Carnival week of events on St Croix: April 23th, 2012. Youths on the move students and the Evelyn M Williams after-school did a tour of some local and public business.
1. We visited Fleming Transport on South Side of St Croix. Students got a detail tour of the business that began in 1974 and is still owned and maintain by Mr. and Mrs. Fleming and their son who work in the office with them along with other staff members. Mrs. Fleming had a lot to tell the students about making good choices from a young age and doing what is right at all time and think for yourself. She encourage them to make a good name while pressuring their education and become all that they desire. Mr. Fleming also told the students that they can become a business person once they are willing to be honest, treat their staff well and best of all treat their customers with honesty, love and caring. The students then got a tour of the facility with Mr. Fleming (the son) and his mother and was able to see how the family ships and received anything or everything that was shipped to and from all over the world. We were able to see the bread plane that was off loading that bring bread to St Croix every day from Puerto Rico.
2. We then had a tour of Traxco Dr. Randolph James Race Tract. Students were able to see the (95) horses that live at the site and were able to see the workers feed, bath and care for some of the horses. Some of the students were able to make contact with some of the horses. They we were able to see how bets were made on the games, the stadium and the Casino, which has security guard there while adult came to make bets on games.
3. Students got the chance to visit the
Then in the afternoon, the students visited the Council of the
Mr Tahemah Edwards gave the KSD Students a tour of the old Bethlehem Sugar Factory Site and gave the history of the plantation.
Community outreach / story hour: Started Saturday January 29th, 2012, we have story hour and special events with guest speakers. We meet from 8:00 to 10:00 am at Mutral Homes community Center.
Hotel stay: "Youths on the Move for Change" awarded the honor roll students for 1st, 2nd and 3rd marking period with a certificate of accomplishment and gift.
Date: March 18th, 2012. Students had beach family fun-day @ Hotel on the Cay from noon until 5:00 pm. These students also had an overnight hotel stay as a group @ Kronegrade Inn in C/sted.
Programs for school year 2012/2013.
* Evelyn M Williams after-school registration began October 23rd - Dec 20th and (90) days weight loss program for students began Dec 20th, 2013.
* Evening Weight loss program: From March 12th - May 11th, 2013.
Women with Focus, Inc., have partner with Claude O Markoe School to conduct evening aerobic classes for parents, students and staff taking the (90) days weight loss challenge from 6:00 - 7:00 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Join the "CASH Bundle" as a group and winning team takes it all.
* Beginners Steel Pan Class begins for students in the after-school on Wednesdays with Mr. Bill Bass for (8) weeks.
Mr. Bill Bass has agreed to teach our students how to play steel pan once weekly on Wednesdays at the after-school classroom. Program began March 06th, 2013 for (8) weeks. Students will be able to learn how to play. This program is sponsored by CDBG Funding grant award.
* Ms. Sarah Hayes has agreed to come to our after-school classroom and teach the students clay pottery on Fridays for (4) weeks. Students learn how to create craft skills with the use of clay pottery and much more. This program is sponsored by CDBG Funding grant award.
* Youths on the Move for Change hosted a luncheon on Saturday March 16th, for the seniors living @ Joseph E James Homes on St Croix. Students performed for the seniors and give recognition for the oldest seniors. Lunch was served to all the seniors by our students who brought a dish to serve.
* "Youths on the Move for Change" walk 4 health with the community children of Water Gut Homes
* Walk 4 health and family fun day: 1st walk 4 health and community fun day happened Monday January 21st, 2013 for the community children. Location: Rotary West. Time: 7:00, walk began @ 8:30 am sharp and joined Claude O Markoe School Dr. Martin Luther King parade, then return to the building for lunch , then walk back to the park and play with the children.
* Morning group exercise with students began on Saturday Dec 22nd at Vialco Park and rotate at different community locations weekly.
* Story hour for the disable living in F/sted began Sunday December 30th, 2012 and continues quarterly.
Adapt a "grandparent" club: Our after school students and "Youths on the Move for Change members visited Herbert Greg Homes for the age on Friday February 01st, 2013. Students left Evelyn M Williams school via taxi at 3:00 pm, arrived at Herbert Greg Homes for the aged, and left there @ 4:30 pm via taxi to return to school to be picked up.
What we did: Students introduced themselves to the seniors by saying their name, age, grade and school they attend, then they all took turn to read a short story or to read a poem to them. Then the seniors introduce themselves and said their name, age and what they did when they were younger and what was their profession. They also told the students how things have changed so much and it good to see that they are keeping out of trouble (especially our 7 boys who attended the field trip.
The seniors encouraged the students to stay in school, have manners and respect to everyone, and to hold on to the Lord for guidance for their life and their future. Not to believe everything they hear others say, listen to their their parents, teachers and other adult how are teaching them. To listen to the small voice in their heart and do what they know is right. They told them to love everyone and treat everyone the way they would like everyone to treat them and thanked them for coming to share some of their time with them up there at Herbert Greg.
Then the director gave the students a tour of the facility and thanks them for making the seniors happy with their visit and invited us to return soon.
* Walk 4 health and family fun day: 2nd walk 4 health and community fun day happen Saturday February 09, 2013 for the community children and their family. Location: Ball-field West end. Time: 7:00 am and walk began @ 8:00 am sharp into the rain forest and back to the ball-field for a fun day.
St Thomas Carnival week of events on St Croix: April 22nd - 26th, 2013. Youths on the move for change students and the Evelyn M Williams after-school will have tours of some local and public business.
Students St Thomas Carnival Island tours will take place from Monday April 22nd to Friday April 26th, below is the schedule for each day:
Awards and certification to honor roll students.
Date: Friday May 10, 2013 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Location: Evelyn M Williams Elementary School.
Women with Focus, Inc. will present all the students who attends Evelyn M Williams Elementary School who are registered in the after-school with awards in Principle and honor roll certification and most improved boy and girl for the 2012/2013 school year.
(10) Students will be awarded at the school on Friday May 10th, 2013.
Congratulation to all!
Saturday May 18th, all honor roll students and youths on the Move for Change Committee Members will spend time with each other and their family as they have a beach fun-day at the F/sted Pool.
Cruzian rum walking tour.
Date: Friday May 17th, 2013. Students will walk from the school to Cruzian Run for a tour of the facility and its history. Students will be picked up by their parents @ Cruzian Rum @ 4:30 pm.
Classes held on weekends and in the evening. Call Debbie @ 642-7296 to register.
This is what we have planned for the students on Tortola B.V.I. Call the team leader @ 543-9302 to get registered.
Women with Focus, Inc. and partners and the Evelyn M Williams Elementary students, family, friends and the community will meet at U.V.I grounds and have a march for peace and love to Evelyn M Williams School.
Students will sing while they march.
Songs: I would like to see... and we are the world, we are the children. Starting time: 9:00 am sharp!
A moment to remember those who were murdered from each family.
Prayer for "Togetherness, Love, Forgiveness, Strength and the ability to move forward in faith.
Offer assistance to those who are still hurting.
Students will have guest speaker to lecture to them on topics that are affecting them.
* Stress and the young child. Good stress and bad stress!
* Helping your child to deal with depression.
* Recognizing anxiety disorder in your child.
By the end of these workshops you are going to feel more confident in what used to be uncomfortable places and situation.
You will be having the energy and enthusiasm to achieve what you want in life. You are going to overcome your fears and scary thoughts; you will be free of symptoms related to anxiety, fear and depression.
You will secure the loving relationship with families and friends free of symptoms and you will feel the joy and excitement about your life again.
Workshop will be done by individuals / organizations in our community that have partnered with our organization to continue the education that is so important to prevent our children from destroying their future.